Your work journal must also include a 1200 word essay that includes academic research into the underlying themes of your main assignment. This could be a theoretical assessment of the visual language in your photographs or it could be an essay into a social or media theme that relates to your photographs or the publication you are aiming at.
Develop an argument about the idea:
- Theatricality in photography
- Nudity in fashion photography
- Femininity and masculinity in pop culture
- Ambiguity and visual language.
How to include an argument
- Your essay should have a clear statement of the argument – know as a thesis statement. This should come at the end of the introductory paragraph.
- This sentence can then ‘drive’ the essay
- Guide the reader about what is going to be argued
- Focus the writer on what must be argued and supported.
- The rest of the essay will develop the argument with reasons and examples.
- The test for including any information should…
- “Does this contribute to the development of the thesis statement or not?”
- In essay writing it is not so much what is argued but the clarity and quality of the argument which counts.
How would we write this in an essay?
- Introduction – Subject and Argument (state your idea and your argument about that idea)
- Definitions – Theory (state what academic research you will be referring to when considering your argument)
- Debate – (debate the argument in the light of the academic theory)